Sunday, March 1, 2009

Official Day 1: My first encounter with resistance

I went out of town to see visit a sick relative and be with extended family. Overall, the weekend was peaceful. It was good to see everyone come together. I spent most of Saturday with my boys, so I was not successful in cleaning house like I had planned. I will try again tomorrow night. Saturday afternoon we headed out of town. We planned on staying overnight and just hanging out with family all night and into Sunday. After we ate dinner and cleaned on Saturday, some of the guys ran to the store to get some breakfast foods. When they returned they were also carrying a case of beer. They dropped off the groceries and then cracked a few cans open. They were about 5 guys there drinking and talking. Good ol' Mike was the first and only one to try to "pressure" me into a drink. He was saying that it was not officially March yet, so technically I could have one. True, it was 11pm EST, but I had already mentally decided that I would start on the 28th for some reason. So I thanked him and rejected his offer a few more times. Now Mike is easy - meaning it is not hard to say "No thank you". I will admit that I did tell him what I was doing and that I wanted to not have a drink for a month and to try to see what changed in my life. He was curious to see the outcome as well. I thought it was interesting that he really wanted me to have one more beer with him. I am going try to see how many drink offers I have to turn down. Even though he asked more than once, I count this as one offer.

One thing this has made me wonder is if I should let people know why I am not drinking vs. just saying that I am not interested in drinking, but can hang out anyway. If I tell people about the experiment, that changes the outcome, right? I think as a general rule, I will not going to say anything about the experiment. I am sure there will be circumstances where it will come up.

Total drink offers to date: 1


No comments:

Post a Comment