Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One Month at a Time/ Aunt Mary

I was thinking about how it is much easier to handle a large project in small blocks.  That is how all of life is set up if you think about it.  And there is a reason for that.  In nature, everything cannot happen all at once.  Everything takes time.  It is easy to get overwhelmed with life and all its activities.  But if you step back and break it into blocks it seems a little more do-able.  I know that this is common knowledge for most people, but sometime in the past few years I have forgotten that simple structure.  I get wrapped up thinking how I need to work on my marriage, or save for my kids college, or get caught up on the latest projects at work.  I forget that "Rome was not built in a day".   I hope that working these experiments here I can put some other things in my life in better perspective. 

I really like unwinding with a drink now and again... and again :)  I wanted one today.  Just one to toast to Mary. 

Today was Aunt Mary's funeral over in Chattanooga.  She was "salt of the earth", and left a legacy that she can be proud of - it is safe to say that Mary left the world a better place than she found it. I know I am better for knowing her and sharing a some years and a dozen family reunions with her.  When I finally got back to town, it was too late to go into work before I had to pick up my boys from school.  I ran by my local watering hole and there were 4 regulars at the bar.  I bought the boys a round and told them the raise their glasses to Aunt Mary.  I drank my 1/2 and 1/2 tea and toasted to her.  The guys there were a little surprised, but when I told them about Aunt Mary, they all had someone in their lives that carried a resemblance of Mary's spirit.  We all know someone like that - and they are all one in a million.  Peace be with you Mary.  Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment